Cannula Point StylesHome » Products » Reusable Needles » Cannula Point Styles
Cannulas are stainless steel tubes with a blunt back (proximal) end and a pointed / machined "business" (distal) end. Blanks are blunt on both ends. Needles (assemblies) are produced by joining cannula to hubs (fittings). The following diagram illustrates typical end configurations and within process capabilities, a wide range of custom profiles can be produced on stock or custom tube.
Highest quality tubing is critical for successful cannulas and needles. T.I.G. welded and plug drawn, full hard temper tubing maximizes the rigidity, tensile strength and finishes of cannulas. Furthermore, this manufacturing process is essential for best quality parts when cannula undergo second operation cold working such as tube swaging, bending, flaring, diameter grinding or forming.
Below is a list of some of our common cannula point styles. Call for more details or to request an alternate cannula style. Some cannulas are subject to size limitations. However, most cannulas points can be produced on our stock T.I.G. welded and drawn tubing.
Common Point Styles of Cannulas
- Bias Grind - A single grind or cut point.
Example: Oiling Bevel, 45° ref.
- Vet Point - Sharpened on the lumen sides, this needle is primarily used for life science and industrial applications. (commonly known as lab point style #4)
Standards: Regular (A) Bevel: 12-15°, Short (B) Bevel: 18-20°, Quincke (C) Bevel: 25-30°
- Lancet Point - Automated machine ground. Sharpened on lumen front. Consistent geometry and long run cost effectiveness. Various angles available.
- Deflected point (Anti-Coring) - Used primarily to reduce coring during septum penetration. Huber point primary bevel is deflected behind the lumen to approximately parallel with the longitudinal axis. A "lab point style #2" deflection is bent in the lumen. Please call regarding process limitations.
- Pencil Point - Rotary swaged to a minimal flat then hand sharpened and polished. Please call regarding process limitations.
- Closed End Consistent Wall - Consistent wall closure at end via spinning and welding.
- Welded "Ball" End - Cross section diagram reveals that welding process produces a spherical closed end.
- Bullet Point - Tapered , non-sharp point. This point is also offered as a swaged reduction without complete closure at the end.
- Razor Edge - Proprietary technology provides vastly superior edge, used for biopsies & precision dispensing.
- Probe Point (Blunt End) - 90° cut at end of cannula (commonly known as lab point style #3)
- Trocar - Three faces form a sharp point. Two piece welded assembly in tubing is typical.
Special Point Styles
Using advanced technologies, Vita Needle can offer point grinding and cannula tips with very complex geometries. These three examples are some of the more frequently used designs in medical applications, but please feel free to send us your custom point request and we will put a quotation together for you.
- Diamond Point - Two grinds on opposite sides of a solid wire tip, followed by secondary grinds at the tip.
- Trephine - Primarily used for bone biopsies, tube is ground on three sides to create a sharp tip as diagrammed.
- Menghini - Another geometrically complex needle point, the Menghini features a primary bevel grind followed by a consistent angle secondary grind along the outside of the entire cannula tip.
- Spatula - An end closure with one side of the distal end flattened and the other end carefully rounded and tapered with no sharp edges. Commonly produced with openings along the longitudinal axes for liposuction applications.
Need cannulas or finished needles quickly?
Depending on the style, normal lead times may be anywhere from a few days to several weeks for production of any point (only a relatively small number of sizes and lengths are stock). As an option for rapid prototype and small production runs, Vita can produce your desired needle point style in 1-2 weeks or less, depending on tubing size and machine/operator availability. Please let us know if lead time is critical for you and we will quote according to your delivery needs.
Contact one of our sales representatives today to inquire about a quote from Vita Needle Co or call us today at 781-444-1780